Blog

GoodBusiness Monday Slashes Nonsense from 2015 Business Predictions

high idea, small business success stories, business quotes, business predictions for 2015, customers' behaviorUnderstanding your customers puts you ahead in creating your business’ success story  You can understand customers by exploiting the powerful value in today’s 18,100 articles of business predictions in 2015.  Most of those predictions are wrong.  But here’s how to use them to uncover hidden insights into your customers’ behavior.

It’s amazing that so many can write so much and be so wrong.  So why would anyone read those articles?  Well, 80% of the readers believe some of what they read, and believe they know which 20% of all of those predictions will come true.  (That’s a remarkable exercise in self-deception, but then again, 80% of us believe we’re above average.)  Then there’s me and you, among the other 20% of readers.  Today we’ll apply two analysis secrets to uncover the real value of all those articles.

High Idea: Use 2015 Business Predictions to Discover Customer Perceptions

There’s powerful value hidden amongst all that baloney. The challenge isn’t separating the meat from the fat.  The remarkable truth is that the value isn’t even in the baloney!

Pundits of every kind worked hard to discover trends to extrapolate.  Their analysts crunched big data to develop forecasts based on the worst and best performers of 2014.

Here’s your first secret: ignore the forecasts.  That’s right.  Forget about the forecast numbers.  And the predicted events. Pay no attention to the “exclusive analysis”.  We’ll ignore them because looking at the business past is a notoriously unreliable way to predict the business future, as Peter Drucker notes:

Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights while looking out the back window.

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Peter Drucker

Here’s your second secret:  Discover the perceptions hidden in those articles and pay close attention to them.  Predictions actually say a lot about who we, how we feel, and what we hope for.  Those core self-perceptions also govern customer behavior.  The best way to discover perception is to push that amazing analysis organ, your brain, into overload.  Today I quickly read 15 of prediction articles.  Sure enough, at the end of 15 articles, I couldn’t remember many facts.  But my overloaded brain distilled a series of perceptions both for me personally, and for my customers.

The good news is that those perceptions, those impressions, are exactly what’s needed.  Perception is the lens your customer uses to see the world  Now, by ignoring the predictions and discovering the perceptions, you’re one step closer to putting yourself in your customer’s shoes.

Here’s what Elon Musk has to say about perception.

Brand is just a perception, and perception will match reality over time. Sometimes it will be ahead, other times it will be behind. But brand is simply a collective impression some have about a product.

Elon Musk

Much of what makes up your business brand is in your customers’ heads.  You’ll be able to make better decisions about where to take your brand, and your business when you know more about your customer’s perceptions.  When you speed read your brain into overload, you’re getting the real value of those predictions for business in 2015.

Click for More Right Now and Return for Another Post

If you want a bonus right now, let us introduce you to Peter Drucker’s business book about innovation and entrepreneurship.

We’ll also give you (1) our speed reading-inspired perceptions, (2) how they’ll shape customer’s perceptions in 2015 and (3) how they might inspire you to business innovation in your small business success story.  It’s a bonus too, a practical application of today’s two secrets.  Read it here.

Tags

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*